Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Getting into a routine

I think a routine is important. In the different parts of our lives, we need routines. In the case of exercise, this is especially true. I don't know how the rest of you do it, perhaps some of you never do the same thing twice. But I'd just feel out of place. A fat fuck like me always feels out of place in a gym to begin with, so a routine is a must.
That said, I also realize how important it is to shake things up from time to time, keep the routine from going stale. You can be afraid to add something new, maybe just as a one time deal, or perhaps as a new addition to the routine.
It's also good to take things out that just don't work. But the good news is that I'm not anywhere near those stages yet. In fact, at this point, I need to get the routine figured out. I have a basic idea of what I want as I pointed out yesterday. Now I need to do it a few times, decide what works and what doesn't, make changes as they are needed.
For example, this late workout bullshit. That's got to go. the gym is open until 10pm. So far, I've showed up after 5 in the evening. I have to go to the desk and hand them my card. This won't have to happen for long. They are very congenial at this gym. They go out of their way to make people feel welcome. One thing they do, if you're a regular, is not make you come to the counter with your card. They recognize you and enter you into the computer manually. Of course, if someone's new, you show them your card. That's simple enough.
Most of them know me already from last year. However, I still have to go to the desk for now, because there was some kind of problem with putting me back into the system. It shouldn't be a problem for long, but I'm not sure how long it will be. It'll be nice when I can go straight to the locker room.
So, I make my detour to the counter, exchange pleasantries, then head to the locker room. In here I have to pick a locker. I'm not what one would call brazen when it comes to displaying my naked body. In fact, the worst part about being a truck driver was having to go through a physical. There are lockers that are right out in the open...not for me. My locker has always been one of the ones that are closest to being out of sight from the rest of the place. Then I have to get things situated. Finding the locker usually doesn't take long. Getting situated does. I have to get everything out of my bag. I have workout clothes, swimming clothes, deodorant, sneakers (with socks), sandals, a baseball cap, and my mp3 player.
So, I get everything in order and get dressed. I then make my way out to the lobby. I could just hop on the elevator and go up to the workout floor, but I have to go back to the counter. Water costs a buck fifty. Plus I like mine nice and cold, so I have to ask for ice, which someone has to get, which I have to put in my water. Then I go up.
And then...hopefully I didn't forget anything, like my cap, or my mp3 player. I used to bring my pen up with me, because I don't like using...well,m not just pencil. I don't like pencils, but I don't like using any pens but mine. But, I can't tell you how many times I ran back down to the locker room to get my pen. And once, I had to run down twice. I went to get my pen, left my water behind. Went back for it, started to come back up, realized I'd left my hat and just said fuck it. That was it, game over. It wasn't the last time I went or anything. I just gave up for the day. Pitiful.
So I know what I'm like. I can try to change that by just not being like that, but I've tried it before and have found it to be an exercise in futility. I'd rather figure out my weaknesses and work out how to get past them. So now, I use a their pencil. Granted, that still leaves a cap, mp3 player, and water bottle to worry about, but still, that's 3 things and not 4.
I have a few solutions I plan to put into effect. For one thing, I intend to rent a locker. They started offering that last year when I left. Turns out they were offering them for $25 a month. Not a bad deal, really. I'm going to see if I can't get it for 20.
Also, I have a fix for the water problem. I know this probably sounds silly, but I really want to get upstairs, as a fast as possible, and get the workout started. So, the water. I used to like using a 32 oz gatorade bottle for water, along with two mix in packets, and some ice. What I figure I'll do is make one up each day, and put some ice in a small cooler. Drop the ice in the bottle before going in, and I've got a good cold one for the workout.
This way I can keep most of my stuff at the gym, my water's all ready before I even get in there and all I really have to do is change my clothes.
The locker situation will help when I get done with my workout as well, as I want to get into the pool as fast as possible. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I want to get there earlier. The pool closes at 8 and these past few days I've only had 20 minutes in the pool. To make things worse, the hot tub isn't working. (That should be fixed soon as well) So I spend as much time as I can in the therapy (heated) pool, and when they kick me out, I move right into the steam room.
The other problem is that when I'm leave, then what? I figured I would go to the cigar store and spend some time there, enjoying myself. But they normally close after 10PM (well after, some nights). Tonight and last night I was there a little after 9. But they were closed already. Thus ends my night.
That's gotta stop.
Anyway, I made a mistake earlier about yesterday's workout. My first run on the treadmill lasted 4 minutes, not 5. So that was 16 minutes total, not 17.
Today I did my first lap around the gym, then hopped on the treadmill and did 5 minutes. I did my "lifting" (I'll get back to that) and did 7 and a half, and I got up to level 2 on the speed. Some more lifting later I did my cool down, measuring another 5 minutes, pushing myself a little toward the end.
I'm happy about the treadmill today. It felt good to get on there and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.
As for the lifting in between, I was a little worried! I did 3 reps of ten on each machine last time (except the one where I did 1 rep of 15 and two reps of 10) and had little trouble. And why should I have trouble? I've got the minimum on each machine! I'm just doing it to get my arms moving, to get my body moving. But for some reason, on the first machine, (which would normally be the military press, but someone jumped on it before I could, so it was the chicken wing instead) I was having a little trouble. I think I did all the reps as before there, but when I got on the military press, I was really having trouble, right in my shoulder. My right shoulder. Why was it bothering me? I had to cut the reps short. I still did three, but the amount in each rep was different. It was almost the same with the others, except I ended up adding weight to one of the machines. I didn't seem to have trouble there.
It had me worried, but it finally occurred to me at the end, that the reason my arm was hurting was because I just got a shot there today! Right before I went to the gym no less! Right on my right shoulder! Well, no fucking wonder! I'm fat, a loser, and a dumbass!
So for the next few days, it will be touch and go with the lifting. I'll still do it, but how much depends on the arm. If it doesn't bother me at all tomorrow, then great! Back to the program!
So there's my progress. Tomorrow, I intend to go back and try again, earlier, and perhaps even take an evening aquarobics class.

No comments:

Post a Comment